Friday, October 28, 2011

He Had bells...really!

Red Eyed Flyhttp://www.redeyedfly.com/home.html ) from the outside seems a little unassuming. It looks really small, but goes to prove that looks can be deceiving. With room inside for a pool table, a lounge by the entrance, stage in the back corner and a long bar on the side there is plenty of room here to check out a band and still have a conversation. Outback....HOLY SHIT! This place has got a GREAT area off of Waller Creek with a stage in the far back and a very decent side area for the crowd to watch shows.

Strolled on in with mijita on my arm to check out The Noble Prizehttp://www.facebook.com/thenobleprize?sk=info ). These guys are a 3 piece relocated from Harlingen and bringing their own brand of music to the capital city. I hate to make comparisons to cause what I hear may not be what you hear. In fact when I commented on the sound to Mariza she kinda just stared at me (don't think she agreed), so I will leave it to you.

BUT DUDE, THEY HAD BELLS! That's right, bells...like marching band bells. I was very surprised. Don't think I have ever run into that one yet, so there is another first. Performance wise the sound, tempo, vocals, and music was very much on the mellow side. Not what I would pick for a Saturday to set it off, BUT during the week, during a happy hour I could chill out to this while having a beer. The lyrical content and song titles may be misleading, i.e. - "Nightmares", but then it's mellow with bells. It is as their ReverbNation page says and there FB page...Indie and alternative, great descriptors. Each part of the ensemble was solid, but as a whole they are still growing. I do believe the bass player said they have been playing together 1-12 months (the Lonestar may have my memory slightly off).

Give them a listen on the web, then check out a location and make your decision.

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment