Monday, January 28, 2013

No Reservations

I really wanted some BBQ.  I have heard wonderful things about the BBQ at Lamberts (http://www.lambertsaustin.com/) and it smelled fantastic when I walked in. SO...all I wanted were some good appetizers, sit at the bar, and  enjoy some half price apps...blah! No seating at the bar 'cause it is pretty darn small, maybe 10 people. I didn't do my homework, so I didn't realize that you need reservations to sit at a table in the restaurant. My Bad! Guess I will have to try again soon!



The upstairs is where the music happens. Up the stairs from the front door puts you on the second floor at the back of the room. With the stage directly behind the stairs and the bar to the right as you face the stage, it is a very odd layout. Booths at the back and seating along the rail of the stairs leading to the stage it is somewhat of an 'L' shaped room. If it is a packed house, like the SOLD OUT show for The Roosevelts and Quiet Corral, then be prepared to hear a great performance. I managed to be a rebel and stand in the booth seat to be able to see over the crowd and take some photos.


So, for the second live performance of             The Roosevelts (http://wearetheroosevelts.com/), this had to be exciting for them. A packed house, wall to wall people, and chicks making out in the back! WHOOOO HOOOOOO! The music from The Roosevelts is very, very familiar and feels like some tunes currently heard on the radio. It is fun, happy music with melodies and vocal harmonies that blend seamlessly. The sound as a whole doesn't stand out, it just hits that spot somewhere in your brain, makes you smile, and that my friends is good. I look forward to the album that should be dropping at the beginning of March. I want a lyric sheet on the inside because all of these songs are tunes that you just want to sing along with. Front man James with backing vocalist/lead guitar Jason, do a great job of keeping the audience part of their show. The chemistry is visible and it is an all important part of making that a fun night out.


Quiet Corral (http://quietcorral.com/) is this unassuming group of guys from Kansas. With a broad range of ages (early 20's to early 30's) the experience and youthful energy serves them well and makes their performance energetic and smart for a crowd. No egos here for a headliner or touring band, just a band who's sound seemed like it should just be out there on the airwaves for all to hear, like right now! Getting on stage right after The Roosevelts exited and giving the audience very little time to recover was something I really liked. No cool down period, just grab a damn beer or your whiskey and get back into the music. They did a variety of up tempo songs that kept the audiences interest the whole time. For me the most notable and shocking moment of their performance is when one of the front men, Garrett, busted out the little 11 yr old M.J. vocals from The Jackson 5 song 'I want you back!' UNBELIEVABLE! Was absolutely worth it. Go check these guys out when they are in your small town, big city, or neck of the woods....OR when you are in Lawrence, KS.

Laters

P.S. - the making out, hot chick photo is in The Roosevelts photo album on my FB page!

No comments:

Post a Comment