Friday, October 8, 2010

Mo' music at MOMO's

So this is about a week or so behind the show date. BUT, I do not write this so you can relive the performance, I write this so that you can get a feel of what it was like to be in the audience and make you're decision on who you want to see any given night that you wanna hit the town!

What was supposed to be an early evening checking out Michael Dillard at his debut performance at MOMO's ( http://www.momosclub.com/ ) turned into a long evening of great music and new things. AS ALWAYS, I was pleasantly surprised at the turn of events and music for the night! Albeit, I was not prepared for a long night so my recollection of the bands is a tad off, but I am gonna try this anyway (and by recollection I DO NOT mean anything other than the bands names as I clearly remember the performances....DUH!!!!)!


Michael Dillard ( http://www.michaeldillardmusic.com/ ) was the early evening part of the menu with a start time of 6:30pm. I was happy to get off of work a little early and step downtown during the daylight hours (try it you'll like it!) and even more excited to chill at MOMO's for a nice set of music. As always (and yet getting better) Michael was having fun with the band and the audience. With some laughs in tow and a VERY nice size crowd for that early. Michael did an amazing job of filling the room with the rockin sounds of his debut EP, some covers, and other originals that will soon be on his upcoming LP (look for it DAMMIT!). With the ages in the crowd so varied it was especially nice to feel the positive response from everyone about the music and the performance itself.

Autmn and Austin Mayse, this duo had a very Americana feel to them. With taking turns on vocals, it was very cool, laid back, easy sound. No doubt something you could easily chill to in this lounge (or any other nice lounge for that matter) with a cocktail in hand.


Meggan Carney http://www.facebook.com/people/Meggan-Carney/600021280#!/profile.php?id=600021280 ) back again at MOMO's and this time it was just Meggan and a guitarist. All I think I am allowed to say without getting anyone in trouble is "OOoooo the things she makes you feel when you hear her music and voice from there onstage." Always another early evening, chillaxin kind of songstress and performance. Love it, enjoy it, and toast to it!


Now this next thing turned out to be a totally surprising musical performance. The band loads up and then I see this guitarist, I am like "damn that guy looks familiar." Couldn't place him, couldn't place him, couldn't place him. So this is 'The Coveters' ( http://www.facebook.com/coveters ) and the guitarist was none other than Wayne Sutton (look him up dammit, you're on the 'net reading this anyway, fool!) Now I will not take away from the other performers/artists in the band, but I was still surprised to see this and even happier to hear it.

This music was fresh, the band held a sense of humor and almost irreverence of themselves that made it great and easy to sit through and enjoy. Another band to chalk up on the board as one who knows how to perform for the audience. Again, I don't know how big their following is, but during their very first song the band breaks out into hand claps. Without any prompting from the band, the audience fell into suit and played right along. This is definitely fun and crowd control if there ever was.


Last, definitely not least, and with a fraternal organization or two in tow was Hudson Moore http://www.myspace.com/hudsonmooremusic ). This was a helluva sight, guitarists lined up onstage as far as the eye could see. keyboards, drums, damn near everything and everyone onstage (I swear I saw a kitchen sink.) Not knowing what to expect but expecting to like what I heard, I was right. With MOMO's busting at the seems with this crowd, the band kicked it off and showed a polished sound that I will say is pretty damn impressive with the mob onstage. Clean, tight, and completely irresistible to tap your foot too. This was the debut performance as I was told earlier in the night and will tell you that in know uncertain terms it really can only get better for these guys. Look them up, check them out as this is Moore or less (oh god I couldn't resist that one) an evening performance type band to swing away into the night with!

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment