Friday, August 29, 2014

Cannibal Corpse - Mayhem Fest 2014



From the Dallas, Texas stop of Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival 2014, the bummer performance review to write. 



I was very excited to see Cannibal Corpse for the first time. Some would argue, they are the godfathers of modern and current HorrorCore. There have been death metal and black metal bands with a few gaining world wide success. Yes, there is a decent list of bands that are remarkable and (in)famous for what they do, but in my opinion there are only 2 bands world wide that evoke a physical reaction from people when you talk about them. Here is one before you [the other I won't name, but will say this R.I.P. - J.H 05/02/13].



Cannibal Corpse (http://www.metalblade.com/cannibalcorpse/) was the final band to perform on the side stages I saw, before the event moved inside to the amphitheater. There was absolutely no doubt the crowd was ready for this as well. With very little fanfare, just the crunch of a guitar, IT WAS ON!



I was happy to be inside the barricade shooting photos, because the crush of fans looked pretty damn intense. The weird thing is that they were all just kinda ...there...I watched. They were just there. Up against the barricade. Some with their hands up. A few with heads thrashing. But it was weird, they were all just standing there. Like a bunch of fuckin zombies. Beyond the crush against the barricade a pit started, proof that some fans of metal were still alive and kicking it. I enjoyed myself, I snapped the shit outta photos. I listened, and I took it in.







For one of the most notorious frontmen of one of the most notorious bands, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher is frightening in all of his methodic and deliberate actions onstage. I was impressed by the music and the audience seemed dead to the music. Maybe it was appropriate for who was on stage - get it? dead crowd - Cannibal Corpse - eh  eh   ehh?



I have no doubt and no question that you put the right band in front of the right crowd at the right venue and things can be drastically different. I think this was the case here. Hours baking in the sun on the hot ass asphalt, drains even the most hard core fan. Mix in alcohol...fuck it, you're done!




I know that I will be in line, or down in front, or back stage, or wherever the fuck I have to be when Cannibal Corpse hits Austin, Texas. And I know it will be a fierce event in whatever venue has the balls and the size to make it happen (Emo's). And it will be a beautiful death metal sight to behold.













No comments:

Post a Comment