Sunday, January 21, 2018

The music world returns to austin

In March the music world returns to Austin. Everyones attempted shot at "making it big" and getting the "record deal of a lifetime". Local bands, national bands, and even bands from around the world, throw the caution to the wind to via for that golden ring. Whether you believe the shot at glory and the record deal is worth it or all that is cracked up to be, the music world will descend on us.

The glory of this, being a music lover and fan of the live music scene here in Austin, is you get to experience so many different types of music and performances from all over. I thrill at this event as you should too. You don't need badges or wristbands to experience all the spring break glory of music in Austin during the second and third weeks in Austin. Downtown, East side, Southside you simply have to take the time and stroll around. Discover something new. This is the point of this post... ways to just go do it.
You can look up events at The Austin Chronicle and Do512. This is how I will primarily find my adventures and journeys. You can also follow some of your favorite local bands, go to their shows and you will invariably find and discover someone new.

Here are a few recommendations for out of town bands. These are bands I have seen in the past that should be making a return to Austin during this illustrious time of year. Bands worthy of your time and attention.


Sarah Shook and The Disarmers (http://www.disarmers.com/) - The female re incarnation of Johnny Cash. All of the attitude, a great voice and an amazing band backing her up. A sound and style that refuses a label. It's not rock, it's not country, it is just simply great. I saw Sarah Shook and the Disarmers at a Rachael Ray event last year, 2017. It was a spectacular performance. I looked them up and coincidentally they will be in Houston during that special time here, so I expect and hope Austin will get the pleasure of there re appearance again this year.


The Revenge Wedding (https://www.facebook.com/therevengewedding/). I will proudly say this was my "Holy Shit" moment of the whole week 2017. This band plays the type of music that would scare the shit outta your grandma. It's not your daddy's type of rock and roll either. For The Revenge Wedding it's not just about the music it is all about the performance also. At the show I experienced, some knucklehead in the crowd thought it would be funny to heckle the band...stupid idea. The lead guitarist wasn't shy and verbally laid into this guy, it was great! Oh, and don't try to defend your idiot friend wearing deck shoes without socks either, just as dumb. I am really happy to say they will be back here in Austin for the week of music 2018. Look them up, figure out where they will be at and go. I will see you there for damn sure.












Funk Shui Planet (https://www.funkshuiplanet.com/) If the previous review was about my Holy shit moment, this was definitely the "What the Fuck!" moment. I was at another event, and took a break to stroll around downtown Austin to see what else I could find, and there they were. Funk Shui Planet just chilling in a parking lot. I do believe they were supporting a skateboard company, Jelly. With their brand of funk and laid back rock, it is just an awesome style of groove and chill type music. This performance is the epitome of what you can find and discover during music week in Austin, Texas. No badges, just a good pair of shoes and the willingness to explore. All the great stuff has always been free.



Last, and certainly not least, was October Roar (https://www.facebook.com/OctoberRoar/). This is a Texas band I experienced on my Birthday right in the middle of it all! A metal band with all the attitude and a sense of humor about themselves to have you raising your beer, shaking your fist, and cheering at the top of your lungs. October Roar was great fun, and because it wasn't an official showcase it was so easy to enjoy their performance and still say 'Hi" after they were done. I suspect they will be here this year so look them up and enjoy.


There were so many more bands I got to see and enjoy. I hope you take the time out to make the most our of this special week yourself. Plenty of local talent to be seen and enjoy, but these are my picks I look forward to returning back to Austin.


If you have some of your favorite discoveries and are expecting them to return this year. Email me and let me know. I would love to start building my itinerary now.



Laters 



No comments:

Post a Comment