Saturday, July 20, 2019

The Real Sim

Well that is a little odd. I mean, if it was the fake sim then it would be a sim - ulator....just saying.


Lucky me. I have this music blog which allows me to share my musical journeys and opinions with the world. All with the hopes of someone reading about a band and then going to a show. I have also been running a livestream for a year (as of the writing of this blog). The show is called Three Beers and a Whiskey available on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/threebeersandawhiskey , check it out. Besides the shameless self promotion, it has a point in this blog post about the music and performance of Sim Ross.



Our second episode of the show was with Sim Ross and his band The Laughing Heart. I was introduced to the man, band, and music by then guitarist and friend of mine, Sonny Bihl. Without ever seeing the band perform, and only on the recommendation of my friend and a downloaded copy of the album 'Mothers DayBlues', I enthusiastically had them sit with me and chat. Besides being great, down to earth, and very humble men, their acoustic rendition of several of their songs from the album were stunning. Here is 'Winding Rivers' ( https://youtu.be/ydBlbzBg0Kk ). It was not to long after that where I had the pleasure of catching them twice. Once at a venue that will remain nameless - because of the shitty sound production that evening - and the second time at one of my all time favorites, the One2One (http://www.one2onebar.com/).


Sim Ross (https://www.simrossmusic.net) is originally from Ohio. Lucky us here in Austin, he made the journey and cut his record, Mothers Day Blues, here. His Americana sound has just enough edge on it to be rock and roll, and enough soul in the music to be blues. Of course I think all great American music is based on the blues, I just think Sim Ross elevates it to another level, and makes it REAL personal. His voice has that great raspy sound. Between gargling with glass and drinking sandpaper, you might be able to imitate Sims unique voice and sound. It is amazing and perfect with the originals he does.



The One2One was really the perfect spot to check out Sim Ross and The Laughing Heart, an intimate setting with a great sound system. The band was fantastic. Kicking off with the first track from the disc, 'At the rate I'm going', it proved to be a nonstop tour of storytelling through music. As much at the title song is my favorite, the live rendition of the song 'Paradise' is killer.





It was a stunning set of music that was non stop, top to bottom. No question and doubt I will go to many more Sim Ross shows. You should too. Check out his website, look him up on FB. It is without question that is a great way to start a high energy evening. An even better way to top off the night. Do the live music scene and yourself a favor, go see Sim Ross and The Laughing Heart. Tell him I sent you, and have a water on me.



















Laters




No comments:

Post a Comment