Thursday, July 4, 2019

Hidden Empires

Well... don't know if I could make any kind of pun out of that or if you read the title and wonder what the fuvk I am hinting about.


So, I know this guy. He plays guitar. He lives in Austin. He's in a band. Stop me if you know this one...


Actually my wife and I have known David Smith for about 10 years. David has a mind like a steal trap and a memory like an elephant so I am pretty confident he could tell you the day, date, AND time he met me. It was at a large insurance companies call center her in Austin for sure though.
David found out I like to go out and check out bands and take pictures. He even told me he has some friends in a band...(we all live in Austin and I though we all had friends in bands). David proceeds to tell me about this awesome band his friends have and I should go see them. Move forward a year or so and I am at a show at The Dirty Dog at the behest of the great MC Overlord (R.I.H.). While checking out his show there is this cool local band opening - Fremen. As I am listening and watching them David comes out of the crowd yelling at me - it was loud - "DUDE! This is the band I was telling you about. These guys are great. I know them." It was true, he knew them, they were great and I wrote a pretty cool blog post about the Fremen. The will always be my favorite Sunday morning hangover music.

Enough of the back story. Move forward in time ~~~~~~~ I am at my second home and the best damn sounding small venue in Austin, The One 2 One. There is someone I know on stage - seems like this is a recurring theme, and as I am enjoying the band finishing up their set (a blog about the live performance of Sim Ross to come shortly) who comes up to me out of the crowd...yeah! David Smith. "Dude! Will! Good to see you. What are you doing here? Are you gonna stay and watch my band?" It happened just about as fast as you read that too. Of course I will stay and watch your band. I would be a shitty blogger and lover of the Austin music scene if I didn't.


So up onstage I witness Hidden Empires (https://www.facebook.com/HiddenEmpires/). Two lead guitars trading off rhythm licks, lead singer and bandleader doing keyboard duties, bass and drums. with what seems like the guitars and keyboards all trading off vocal duties, Hidden Empires is a hidden gem in Austin music. Time and again I have used the term "that Austin sound". It's true, it does exist. You can hear it squarely in every chord and note played and sung.









Hidden Empires was bodies grooving on the dance floor, people swaying to the music good rock, Americana good. I am sure you could come up with some more descriptors on them, but it is so much easier if you get to experience all that Hidden Empires has to offer live.

I will happily say that I was not only taken back by the surprising expertise my friend David had on the guitar, but the bands whole performance sound and vibe. With one performance I knew I had to invite them on to come sit down and do an interview with me on my video blog Three Beers and a Whiskey. About an hour after I requested them come sit with me I got the enthusiastic HELL YEAH from the band












I will leave you with this glowing endorsement of the band.

My wife trusted me to book a band on the video show for an interview after one performance. After they did our video blog she was so blown away and impressed my wife had us out the door from a downtown venue we were hanging at a month later and there we were, in front of Hidden Empires for her first experience seeing them live. It was even better than the performance on our show. Don't be foolish, put Hidden Empires on your list of good, fun Austin music to go see and experience.




Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment