Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Who is this guy

is what I heard several times during the evening during the Paul Cauthen performance.


I was at Emos Austin. Located on Riverside Dr, about 3 minutes from downtown Austin. It has been a while since I was last here. Although the room itself hasn't changed, the aesthetics have. A fresh coat of paint, some new decorating around the perimeter of the venue, the addition of another bar, and it is still Emos. Don't take this statement the wrong way. Emos is a great place to go see a show. You walk in the door and only a few feet from the main entrance and you are standing in the giant room that is the venue. The sound has never left me wanting, always fast service at any of the bars, and big stage that can be seen from pretty much any spot inside those four walls.

This night was special for me. On the recommendation of my cousin, and some Divine intervention, I picked up a copy of Paul Cauthens debut CD release "My Gospel". After listening to this disc several times, I grew to really appreciate the song writing, the tunes, and overall vibe of the album. It is definitely a masterful piece of work.


Even better than the CD is finding out Paul Cauthen (http://www.paulcauthenmusic.com/) is coming to town. Without a hesitation I jumped on the chance to shoot photo for this lost sons return to Austin. NO, there was not a large, glamorous stage show. It was 5 guys on stage doing what they love, and doing it very well. It was exceptionally fulfilling for me to enjoy this performance from behind the lens for 3 songs - no flash. It was so much more when I stepped from behind the barricade and melted into the crowd. With Paul Cauthens big, booming voice carrying through the venue and the great time you could see him having on stage, it was glorious to be in the house.

Even more exciting was roaming through the crowd and seeing the faces lit up by the stage lights. The whispers of excitement from here and there in the crowd. I didn't hesitate to interrupt the conversations I overhead. When there was someone who would lean over to their friend, and just above the sound of Paul singing, I could hear them ask "Wow! do you know who this guy is?" I happily jumped on that moment and would exclaim "That's Paul, Paul Cauthen!" It was not sad for me to hear so many voices asking who this Johnny Cash sounding fellow was, it was thrilling to hear Paul Cauthen making fans as I stood there and witnessed.




Thanks to my cousin James Tompkins for anointing me.


Appreciate my photographer friends I rarely see, because my head is jammed up the local scenes ass so much I don't do the touring shows. Scott Moore and Katrina Barber are always two of the three best to bump into, always.



And thanks to the City of Austin for being Austin. I love doing what I do for nothing. I love giving respect and my time to the musicians that give their souls to the city for so little.




Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment